The amount you could claim depends on several factors, including how much damage was done to your home, the cost of repairs, if you were able to live in your home, if there were any personal injuries caused, etc. Without all the information, we cannot give you a minimum figure as it varies from case to case. To receive an estimation, contact us via phone at 0333 344 5324 or use our claim calculator form and a member of our housing disrepair team will be in touch.

Yes, you can make a claim for both disrepair and inconvenience caused as a result of the disrepair issues as long as you have sufficient evidence. You may also be able to claim for personal injury too.

Unfortunately, we cannot take on claims against private landlords. We work with tenants who live in homes owned by housing associations and local councils, due to the fact that these organisations are more likely able to immediately pay any redress awarded by the court.

To support a housing disrepair compensation claim, the tenant should gather as much evidence as possible, including:

  • Photos or videos of the disrepair
  • Any correspondence with the landlord regarding the disrepair
  • Any receipts or invoices from professionals who fixed any disrepair issues. 

With the tenant’s permission, we will request medical records if a claim for personal injury as a result of poor housing conditions is made. 

In order to provide sufficient evidence to support your case, you must provide a minimum of 10 images or videos matching each allegation (make sure they are clearly labelled by room).

We work with clients who are tenants of housing association /council housing all over England and Wales. We do not restrict claims to a certain area, however, due to restrictions with taking housing disrepair cases to court, we can only work with clients residing in England and Wales. Although we would love to help everyone, we cannot work with tenants residing in Scotland, Ireland, or anywhere outside of the UK.

Yes, there is. As with all litigation claims, there are limits on how much time you have to make a case against the defendant. This varies with each case, depending on the circumstances. Therefore, we really recommend that you get in touch as soon as possible about your disrepair. 

Yes, we do, we are just a phone call away. If you are unsure whether you have a claim, you can get in touch and we will go through your situation with you over the phone.

We offer a no-obligation service, meaning that if you decide against making a claim after speaking to us, we will not push you to do so! 

The process for making a housing disrepair compensation claim involves:

  1. Fill in the online form to start the claims process.
  2. Once we receive your enquiry, we will give you a call to discuss your situation – here we will ask a series of questions to determine whether you meet the initial claim criteria. 
  3. If we find you are eligible, the information you have provided will be sent to the law firm to determine whether your case is likely to win (your chance of success is viable) and, on this basis, either accept or reject the case.
  4. If your case is accepted by the law firm, you will then receive a phone call and email requesting evidence of the disrepair. A member of our team will talk through everything we need to support your case.
  5. You will receive an email from the Law Firm with a link to an online document, which you will need to read through and digitally sign. This is the Conditional Fee Agreement (CFA) where all the costs, fees, and terms of the claim process will be outlined. 
  6. Once you have signed the CFA, this will be sent to the Law Firm to vet. We will also send a surveyor to your property to collect official evidence. 
  7. Once the surveyor has collected the necessary evidence, the Law Firm will open your case file and write to your landlord (Housing Association/Local Council). This is where your case for compensation will be built against your landlord.
  8. If your landlord does not engage with the Law Firm, your case will go to court. 

As we are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), we must ensure that you understand what you’re signing up for when making a claim. That is why we are completely transparent with fees and processes. 

The Law Firm offer a ‘no win, no fee’ service, meaning that they will take no fees if your case does not make it through the claims process. However, if you do decide to back out of the claims process, after the 14-day ‘cooling off’ period, you may have to pay a termination fee to cover the law firm’s costs. This is clearly outlined in the CFA, and a member of our team will discuss this with you during your consultation.

At Stratus Legal Solutions, we do not take any fees from our clients, however, we may receive a fee for our services from the Law Firm.

If you have any questions regarding fees, please do not hesitate to contact us via the online contact form, or by phone (0333 344 5324).

Request a callback

Request a Callback


Please use our claim calculator to submit a claim

Let's get your housing disrepair claim started! Please click the button below to go to our claim calculator. This will help determine whether you may be eligible to claim. Once you submit the form, we will be in touch as soon as possible to discuss the disrepair in your home.


Start a claim



Please use our claim update form

The claim process can take several months depending on the details of the case. We understand this can be a little frustrating and you may just need an update. Use our claim update form to receive an update about your claim and where it is in the process. We will also be happy to answer any questions you may have.


Claim Update Form